Sunday, September 16, 2007

HP Trip – Day 1

We flew from HYD-Delhi. This is Sai’s first ever flight and she said “it is just like a big bus” and it was. Air travel has become so common in India; I remember reading somewhere that India and China will have worst air traffic in the coming years. NJ’s family picked us up and her DH (dear husband) drove us around Gurugaon and finally to their home. SV, NJ’s husband did his masters at the same time we were in our B.Arch, so we were talking about old times, meanwhile Deepu – NJ’s son got really bored. We had Pizza, played cards (KM card playing crash course begun) and head off to Sarojini Nagar Market. After living in U.S. for long, personal space is something I take it for granted or feels it is my birth right. I only realize it is a myth when I enter markets like Sarojini nagar. I avoid many shopping centers and temples for the same reasons. We did have lot of fun other than my people phobia. From there we drove to India Gate and I was surprised to see so many people. I have always seen India Gate in movies with no people except the filmi folks jogging etc. Relying on Airborne, I did have the yummy roadside 'bhel'. NJ’s family drove us off to a metro station. Delhi metros are no less to Europe metros. It was amazing to see how fast you can get to from point A to point B without traffic. Finally we landed at Old Delhi station and boarded our much awaiting train “Jammu Mail” that will take us to Pathankot (Chakkibank). The weather in Delhi was very humid and sticky, I was so glad to get into the moving train. Due to jet lag and the entire shopping gala, I dozed off very early, whereas Sai and KM kept chatting for long hours.

No comments: