Tuesday, April 25, 2006

New Wine in Old Bottle!

I am on a short trip to Seattle. The flight from Pasco to Seattle as expected is not full. After the routine enthusiastic safety announcements, the air hostess severed beverages. More often, than occasionally, they serve wine on this flight. We have tons of vineries in and around our area. Halfway through the aisle of serving, AH (Air Hostess ) got a call on her line and she spoke for few minutes. I am sure everyone had their own thoughts about this gesture. The usual protocol on this 40 minutes flight is, you board, buckle, safety announcements, beverages, garbage collection and un-buckle. After serving couple of more seats, she announces we have a brithday girl in row #e, please sing a happy birthday song. I am sure the birthday girl was as embarassed as us, as we sang. This is also very usual in such small flights. The more unusual interesting part is yet to come. Finally she comes to my seat:

AH: Would you like something to drink?
Moi: Sure. Some wine please.
AH: (one minute stare and) Can I see your ID?
Moi: Whatt?
AH: I need to see your ID.
Moi: (my internal conversations are more like 'Timon' in Lion King series. Excuse me! She serves it to every bald, fat, old, long necked, gray haired, round bellied species on the flight and now she wants to see my ID. This is not an another 'Random my ### check' is it?)
Moi: Was trying to reach the hand luggage cabin.
AH: Hands me my bag.
Moi: I pull out my driver's license and flash it before her like some official and embarrassingly, "I am too old you know".
AH: That's ok.
Moi: But! you made my day, Thank you with a one mile smile from cheek to cheek.
AH: Laughs!

All yesterday I was on cloud #9 and am slowly descending to reality. But she did slash off 15+ years of me. That felt good, thanks to my kids who keep me on my toes and in shape, thanks to DH (Dear Husband) for his healthy recipes and thanks to my gym. Does this effect have on men? Not the wine effect- the under estimation of age. Or is it just a Women's privilege?

3 comments:

Kumari said...

That must have been fun :) I was called a minor on my last flight ;)

But i do get bugged when they keep asking me to flash my ID, the few times i ask for a drink :( I don't have a US licence yet n i hate the pic in my indian driver's license. I always get the feeling they r recollecting ugly duckling story when they see the snap :p

And a heartfelt thanks to you and Vin for all the help :)

Vivek Kumar said...

I am not allowed to buy alcohol in Delhi (or served alcohol in a bar) because I am not yet 25.

But every airline would do it (we are not in Delhi then, of course). So would the bars in the rest of the country.

Funny rules we have!

And congratulations! For.. umm.. well, I don't have a politically correct way of putting it (and I am not about to try flattery) ;-)

Ratna said...

@Kumari: You are welcome and Vin is about to Venture your writing workshop.

@Vivek: I did not know the legal for alcohol in India is 25. Thank you, I will take it as a compliment:)