Tuesday, January 17, 2006

Vennetlo Godari Andam.. (The beauty of river Godavari in Moonlight)

The fertile delta between the River Godavari branches is most depicted in Telugu movies as lush green villages. My friend Sai and her husband are from around here. So, we put in a request to Sai and Vissu (Sai's DH) for a short trip. Itwas worth every second spend there. We (we four, my MIL, Sai and Vissu) rented a Qualis (10 seater) one Saturday early morning (3:00AM) and hit the road towards the great konaseema. It is also refereed as East and West Godavari. It was a 8 hour drive with beautiful sceneries. We spoke, ate, sang, stopped for bath room breaks for Vin and Chotu along the way. We finally reached Sai's Uncle's place.
We were received very very cordially, (it is one of the characteristics of konasemma-hospitatliy, is given high importance). We visited Sai's grand fathers house - a small thatched (with coconut leaves) mud house, with a huge backyard (10-15 acres if you must know) of agricultural lands. The old couple manage the whole thing. We got Vissu to climb up a ladder and get us some sweet coconuts and briefly looked at Cabbage, drum sticks and few other vegetable gardens. After the refreshments (fresh coconut water and pulp) we headed to visit the villages along the river banks. We stopped in a village called Kapileswaram where there is a "Veda Patasala" that DH heard about earlier. This school is run by a rich Zamindaar (Land Lord) for girls to learn "Hari Katha". It is a four year degree for students with good music and Abhinay skills after high school. The students reside in the premises and learn music, dance etc., from very famous visiting faculty along with the resident gurus. The girls sang 3 songs for us. It was simply melodious and divine.
We were asked to look at Zamindaar's residence and we had to leave in a hurry because we promised the kids a boat ride on the Godavari and it was getting dark. Finally we managed to reach the "revu" and boarded the boat that is rowed by a single man (our hero). That was a scary moment for a while, we all could not move, because the boat would loose its balance even if we moved slightly. Chotu was getting restless. It almost got dark and we could see the real beauty of river Godavari in the Moon light. It was the most beautiful evening I would never forget.

7 comments:

M (tread softly upon) said...

Amazing! Thanks for sharing with us.
And welcome back! You were missed. Hope you're doing okay.

Ratna said...

Thank you M. It was a rejuvenating visit. I am doing great:)

gvenum said...

Beautiful Read and Pictures. Though never had any association with Andhra Villages, I have vivid memories of images I had from reading Chandamama.

Ratna said...

@gvenum: I have beautiful memories of my summer trips to my mom's village (Srimukhalingam). I wish I could just rewind and relive.

Ratna said...

@Rags: True, it is breath taking beauty and calmness in those areas. I am sure we visted in the best times.

kiran said...

U made me feel my homme. thanks a lot.

హరేఫల said...

A very good blog. I am basically from Amalapuram.
You have taken me to nostalgic memories.
God Bless you